February 12, 2010

Bill Clinton Hospitalized, Undergoes Heart Surgery

Former President Bill Clinton, who has a history of heart problems, was taken to a hospital today and underwent heart surgery there, according to reports.

After he had chest pains, doctors inserted two stents into his native coronary. One bypass graft from Clinton's operation five years ago became obstructed.

Clinton is expected to recover and "continue to focus on the work of his foundation and Haiti’s relief and recovery efforts,” his office said in a statement.

As United Nations special envoy to Haiti, Clinton has been concentrating in recent weeks on disaster relief there after an earthquake took 200,000 lives.

The 63-year-old returned a few days ago from his second trip there since the quake. He and George W. Bush have joined forces in fund raising efforts.

Former President Clinton

Former President Clinton underwent more heart surgery today.

Clinton had quadruple coronary artery bypass surgery in 2004 and later developed rare complications affecting his lungs that required another operation.

The ex-Commander in Chief was taken today to the Columbia campus of New York Presbyterian Hospital, the same facility he was treated in back then.

Clinton’s health has been a concern ever since the 2004 heart operation. By his own account, the Democratic politician had never been entirely the same.

“It changed me,” he told The New York Times last year. “On normal days ever since I had that heart surgery, I’m a lot more laid back. But if I’m really tired, it’s more difficult for me than when I was back in politics before the heart problem."

"I have no explanation. I’m just observing it. It’s neither an excuse for any mistake I made or anything else. It’s something I’ve noticed. My life has changed.”

Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton learned of her husband’s condition after concluding a meeting with President Barack Obama in the Oval Office.

Here's wishing Bubba a speedy and full recovery.

0 comments:

Post a Comment